Do’s and don’ts
Here are some do’s and don’ts when it comes to using animations on a website:
- DO: Create context with meaningful transitions.
- DON’T: Confuse the user by not allowing them to go back from where they came from.
- DO: Add small fun animations around the site that delight the user.
- DON’T: Slow the user down with animation.
- DO: Help the user to understand that something is loading with a progress bar.
- DON’T: Overload an interface with distracting animations. Only animate what’s in the users field of view or if something urgently requires the users attention (e.g. a modal to delete something).
- DO: Use the correct type of easing to convey content.
- DON’T: Make things bounce, just… never.